About University of the Ozarks
Welcome to University of the Ozarks! We are a fully accredited, private, undergraduate university that is affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (USA). Our picturesque 30-acre campus lies at the foot of the scenic Ozark Mountains in Clarksville, Arkansas, approximately 100 miles west of Little Rock and 60 miles east of Fort Smith.
Ozarks was founded in 1834 by Cumberland Presbyterians as Cane Hill School at Cane Hill, Arkansas. In 1891, the school was moved to Clarksville, Arkansas, where it still remains.
With an average enrollment of 675 students, Ozarks is a small school, yet it's a place where students find big opportunities. And despite her small size, Ozarks has often been ahead of her time. Over the years the uiversity was:
- One of the first co-educational schools west of the Mississippi River.
- The first college in Arkansas to admit women (1875).
- The first historically white college in Arkansas to graduate an African-American (1959).
- The first historically white college in the state to have an African-American compete in intercollegiate sports (1963).
- The first college in the nation to establish a program for college students with learning disabilities (1971).
We invite you to explore our website to learn more about Ozarks, and the unique opportunities she has to offer. As always, we welcome your questions and comments...simply use our online form to contact us, or email the University Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quick Facts About Ozarks
- Location - Clarksville, Arkansas
- Founded - 1834
- Description - Four-year, Undergraduate, Private, Liberal Arts
- Accreditation - North Central Association, National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), Arkansas Department of Education, International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE)
- Enrollment - 651 Students
- Student/Faculty Ratio - 13:1
- Faculty with Highest Degree - 82%
- Average Class Size - 15
- Average Freshman ACT score - 22.4
- Average Freshman SAT score - 976
- Average Freshman HS GPA - 3.39