Distribution Requirements in the Area of Global Awareness
Required: Complete one of the following four options (0-6 credit hours). (ISO 3, 4)
- Complete one year (or the equivalent) of a modern foreign language** (4-6 credit hours).
- Complete an Ozarks Abroad course (3 credit hours).
- Complete a study or internship abroad of at least five weeks (0-3 credit hours).
- Complete a course in global awareness from the list below (3 credit hours).
**Individual programs determine any specific foreign language requirements for their graduates. Those requirements, if any, are listed under the various major requirements in the catalog.
Criteria for courses in this area:
- The common aim for the requirement in global awareness is for students to broaden their range of cultural experience and to make them aware of both cultural differences and of cultural connections.
- Criterion for courses under option 1: Course(s) must have an identifiable cultural component (social, economic, political, geographic, environmental, and/or artistic).
- Criterion for courses under option 2: This course must have a significant international cultural component (social, economic, political, geographic, environmental, and/or artistic).
- Criterion for option 3: A proposal for study or internship abroad, which addresses cultural considerations (see above), must be approved by the General Education Oversight Committee.
- Criteria for courses under option 4: (a) The course must address one or more foreign cultures, and (b) it must contain significant emphases in at least two of the following areas: history of the arts; social, economic, and political history; geographical and environmental history.
Courses that fulfill the Global Awareness requirement (option 4 above):
|ART 4783||SS: Renaissance & Baroque Italy|
|ECN 3003||International Political Economy|
|ECN 4003||International Law and Organization|
|ECN 4013||International Trade Law and Policy|
|ECN 4213||Comparative Economic Systems|
|GEO 2023||Regional Geography|
|GEO 2033||Human/Cultural Geography|
|HIS 1783||SS: China and the Modern World|
|HIS 2783/4783||SS: Latin American Civilization|
|HIS 2783/4783||SS: The City in History|
|HIS 2783/4783||SS: The United States in Vietnam and Iraq|
|HIS 2783/4783||SS: 20th Century British History on Film|
|HIS 3213||British History I|
|HIS 3223||British History II|
|HIS 3313||History of India|
|HIS 3983||The French Revolution|
|HIS 3983||The Great War|
|HIS 4203||Antiquity and Middle Ages|
|HIS 4213||Early Modern Europe|
|HIS 4223||Revolutionary Europe|
|HIS 4233||20th Century Europe|
|HIS 4313||Survey of Russian History and Culture|
|HIS 4333||Topics in Comparative History|
|HUM 2783/4783||SS: Australian Culture|
|HUM 2783/4783||SS: London After Dark - Study Abroad|
|MGT 4023||International Management|
|MKT 4213||International Marketing|
|PHL 2073||Hinduism and Buddhism|
|PLS 2033||International Relations|
|PLS 3003||International Political Economy|
|PLS 3013||Comparative Political Regimes and Ideologies|
|PSY 2783/4783||SS: Cross-Cultural Psychology|
|REL 2073||Hinduism and Buddhism|
|REL 4003||Religion in Late Antiquity|
|SPN 3123||Latin American Civilization|
Previously offered courses that fulfill this requirement:
|GEO 2013||Cultural Geography|
|MUS 2783/4783||SS: World Music|