Homecoming week activities highlight "Game-day" theme
Release Date: 2/2/2012
Clarksville, Ark. --- "Ozarks Game Day: Homecoming 2012" is the theme for University of the Ozarks' 2012 Homecoming, scheduled for the week of Feb. 6-11.
Inspired by the popular ESPN program, College GameDay, this year's homecoming week will include many of the traditional events, but will also feature some totally new activities which organizers hope will bring added excitement.
"This year's homecoming theme came about because although in the past themes like 'Mardi Gras' have been chosen, we wanted something more integral to Ozarks and what is important to us for Homecoming," said Cassie Saorrono, president of the Student Foundation Board. "So we're shooting for a kind of ESPN feel to the day. In addition to indoor inflatable games in the Rogers Conference Center Monday night - which I believe will include inflatable jousting and other great games - highlights of our week will include a blood drive on Wednesday, a bonfire that same night, and pre-game tailgating in the Mabee Sports Complex parking lot on Saturday morning, complete with games, grilling, and pre-game commentary on a big-screen TV."
In addition to the blood drive, opportunities to make a difference this week include a fund-raiser by the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee to benefit Special Olympics - the campus community can donate money to Special Olympics by voting for the Faculty/Staff Homecoming King and Queen. The Faculty/Staff coronation will be held during half-time of the men's game on Thursday, Feb. 9.
Saorrono added that people who attend all events and participate can register for a chance to win the Best Seat in the House during the homecoming game. "You and one guest will win a couch seat in the student section of bleachers, along with a medium pizza and cokes and popcorn supplied," she said.
Homecoming Week Events
Monday, Feb. 6 (Collegiate Apparel Day)
- Indoor Inflatable Games in the Rogers Conference Center, 6:30 p.m., sponsored by the Residence Hall Association
Tuesday, Feb. 7 (Nerd Day)
- Banner Work Time in Student Center, 7:00 p.m., sponsored by the Campus Activities Board
- Time Travelers vs. Zombies Tag, in the mall, 9 p.m., sponsored by Ozarks Nerds
Wednesday, Feb. 8 (Class Color Day)
- Bonfire in the Apartment Quad, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 9 (White Out Day)
- Blood Drive in Student Center, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Basketball Games, 5:30 and 7:30 p.m.
- Royal court announced at women's halftime
- Faculty/staff coronation at men's halftime
Friday, Feb. 10 (Costume Day)
- Talent Show in Rogers Conference Center, 7:00 p.m., sponsored by Campus Activities Board
Saturday, Feb. 11 (Purple Spirit Day)
- Pre-Game Tailgating in the gym parking lot, 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Basketball Game, Lady Eagles vs. Mississippi College - 1:00 p.m.
- Hall of Fame induction ceremony, women's halftime
- Senior day presentation between games
- Basketball Game, Eagles vs. Mississippi College - 3:00 p.m.
- Homecoming 2012 Coronation, men's halftime
- El Parian Night & Dance, 9 p.m., sponsored by Student Government Association
For more information about any of the week's events, contact the Ozarks Student Life office.